Nominations open for the 2017 Public Health Champion AwardIssued: Monday, June 19, 2017
The search is on for the next Public Health Champion! The Sudbury & District Health Unit is calling on residents to nominate fellow citizens and organizations for the 2017 Public Health Champion Award.
Help us recognize the extraordinary achievements of fellow champions for public health. A public health champion is anyone who helps to protect and promote the health of our communities, whether through leading, collaborating, innovating, or fostering opportunities for health.
“This award gives us the chance to honour, thank, and showcase the invaluable contributions of community members and organizations in our community,” said Dr. Penny Sutcliffe, Sudbury & District Medical Officer of Health. “Public health champions help make a healthier and stronger community, and this award lets us shine a light on those making a positive difference.”
This year we will recognize one individual or one organization that has made outstanding contributions related to the work that public health does in providing clinical services and in supporting family health.
- promoting the health of children and families
- helping families achieve optimal preconception health, experience a healthy pregnancy, and have the healthiest newborns possible
- promoting health through breastfeeding, positive parenting, oral health, or healthy lifestyles
- promoting healthy sexuality
- reducing the burden of sexually transmitted infections and blood-borne infections
- reducing the burden of vaccine preventable, infectious, or communicable diseases
- ensuring that health is available to all, including Indigenous and priority populations
- supporting research and data collection to improve population health outcomes for families, children and youth
The award recipient will be selected based on demonstrated achievements toward positive public health in the areas of Clinical and Family Services in the categories of Leadership, Collaboration, Innovation, and Fostering opportunities for health.
Nominations are open until Friday, September 8, 2017, and will be judged by a committee of the Sudbury & District Board of Health and Health Unit staff. The nomination form and eligibility guidelines are available online at www.sdhu.com. This year’s recipient will be honoured at an awards ceremony in October.