Physical Activity Counseling and Exercise Prescription in Health Care
What if there was one prescription that could prevent and treat dozens of diseases? Join us on Friday, September 29, 2017 and learn about how exercise is a vital sign (EVS) that can be monitored with the majority of patients seen in primary care today. During this workshop you will learn about the evidence for exercise as medicine in primary care, how to efficiently integrate the EVS into daily practice, and to provide exercise counseling and prescription for your patients to prevent, manage and treat chronic disease.
This workshop is open to all health care professionals and students enrolled in health and exercise sciences. This workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to network during breakfast and increase their knowledge about the evidence for exercise as medicine in primary care.
Registration deadline is Friday, September 22, 2017
Workshop fee: $50 for health care professionals, free for students enrolled in a health or exercise science program
- Discuss the health benefits and safety of regular exercise with patients.
- Integrate physical activity assessment as part of periodic health evaluation.
- Provide exercise counseling and prescription as part of routine patient care.
- Utilize a motivational counseling framework for health behaviour change.
- Monitor aerobic exercise intensity and teach how to perform basic resistance exercise.
- 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. – Registration and networking breakfast
- 8:30 to 8:35 a.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
- 8:35 to 9:20 a.m. – Evidence and Clinical Perspective for exercise is Medicine- Presentation
- 9:20 to 10:10 a.m. – Building Competency for PA Counselling and Exercise Rx in clinical practice
- 10:10 to 10:30 a.m. – Break
- 10:3 to-11:00 a.m. – Aerobic Exercise prescription
- 11:00 to 11:30 a.m. – Resistance Exercise Prescription and Demo
- 11:30 to 12:00 p.m. – Issues for Exercise Rx in Clinical practice, Local Perspectives and Q &A
- 12:00 p.m. – Closing Remarks and Evaluation Completion
This workshop is made possible by the following partners:
- Cambrian College
- Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology
- Exercise is Medicine® Canada
- Laurentian University
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine
- Sudbury & District Health Unit
Refunds will be issued upon request until September 22, 2017. Registration can be transferred to another person within the same organization. Please send us a message via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any needed refunds or registrant transfers.
This item was last modified on September 20, 2017