Find help

Need some help with your taxes, looking for financial assistance or community services? Check out some of the following options for more information.

Childcare benefits and subsidies

Families with young children are eligible for monthly child benefit payments and tax breaks to help support their children. For some families, this can add up to more than $8,000 a year.

Canada Child Benefits

Some tax credits that you and your family may be eligible for include:

You can easily apply:

If you need some help filing your taxes, check out the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) for information on local sites that can help prepare your income tax and benefit returns.

City of Greater Sudbury Child Care Subsidy
If family taxable income is less than $20,000 per year, child care will be fully subsidized by the City of Greater Sudbury (CGS). If family taxable income is over $20,000 the family will be required to pay a portion of child care costs.

Manitoulin-Sudbury District Service Board
This board administers subsidized child care within the districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin outside of the city of Greater Sudbury.

Child and youth programs

Child & Community Resources (Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts)
Offers a continuum of services ranging from universal to specialized, for children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and/or developmental needs, including respite care.

Our Children Our Future
Provides programs to parents and children that foster a supportive and welcoming environment. Includes daycare services and resource centres with parenting classes and playgroups.

Sudbury Better Beginnings Better Futures

Sudbury Action Centre for Youth
Offers a safe place for youth to access support and services in the community. Some initiatives include a youth drop-in centre, peer-mentoring programs, housing support, harm reduction and employment services.

Sudbury Best Start
The Best Start Network brings together education, early learning, health and social services sectors to serve children and families in Greater Sudbury. The network connects families and professionals through a comprehensive website and 14 Best Start Hubs to events, services and information for children (prenatal to age 12).

Dental services

The Sudbury & District Health Unit offers financial assistance programs for dental health services to children who are 17 and under. There are 2 types of programs: one for emergency care and another for basic dental services.

Healthy Smiles Ontario

Healthy Smiles Ontario is a program for children 17 years of age and under who do not have access to any form of dental insurance. The program provides free preventative and early treatment services (e.g. cleanings, fillings, x-rays, scaling, and more).

Children in Need of Treatment Free urgent dental care 

The program provides free urgent dental care for children 17 years of age and under. Urgent care includes tooth pain, infection, large cavities, bleeding gums, or mouth injury. For more information and criteria to qualify, contact the Health Unit at 705.522.9200, ext. 236, or toll-free 1.866.522.9200.


Employment Options 
Offers virtual access to employment resources as well as four sites where employment services are offered in person (Espanola, Manitoulin Island, Chelmsford and Val Caron).

Employment Support Services
Assists individuals on Ontario Works to find and prepare for work.

Gezhtoojig Employment and Training
A resource centre offering employment services and training opportunities for all Anishnabek people.

Nokiiwin Employment Services
Employment services for Indigenous people. Call 705.674.2121 for more information.

Ontario March of Dimes Employment Services
Provides adults with disabilities job training opportunities and assistance finding work.

Sudbury Vocational Resource Centre
Serving all ages to support those seeking employment and education through information, counselling, training and support to maximize success.

YMCA Employment Services
The Canada Ontario Job Grant provides direct financial support for employers who wish to purchase training for their workforce. The cost of training is a shared investment between employers and the government.

Financial support

Manitoulin-Sudbury District Services Board – Recreation Subsidies
Assists with registration fees or equipment costs if your child would like to participate in a recreation program. The coverage is a maximum of $300 per child, per year.

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) (Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services)
ODSP offers both income and employment support for people who have disabilities.

Ontario Works (OW) (Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services)
OW helps people who are in temporary financial need. OW offers both financial and employment assistance. In addition to the Sudbury office, there are Outreach offices in Espanola, Chapleau, Alban, Warren, and Little Current.

Physical Activity Aid
There are a number of programs that offer financial support or incentives for participating in physical activity. The Health Unit has information about physical activity opportunities in the community.

Service Canada
Guide to federal government benefits, focusing on Employment Insurance, Canada Child Benefits and Canada Pension Plan (CPP), CPP Disability Benefits, Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement. There are offices located in Sudbury, Espanola, Dokis, Wikwemikong, Mindemoya and Gore Bay.

Ontario Electrical Support Program
The new Ontario Electrical Support Program will help make electricity more affordable for low-income families. This program is designed to lower electricity bills through a credit that is directly on your bill. Also, if you heat your house with electricity or rely on certain medical devices, the program offers an additional rebate.

First Nations and Métis
First Nations and Métis consumers may also qualify for an additional rebate. First Nations electricity consumers should contact the Ontario Native Welfare Administrators Association (ONWAA) to confirm eligibility and to complete their applications at 1.844.885.3157.

Food support

Prenatal Nutrition & CAP-C Programs
Helps pregnant moms and young families get the nutrition they need. Programs are available from:

Sudbury Food Bank
Offers a list of all member food banks across the area (including sites in Chapleau, Espanola, Manitoulin and Sudbury East).

The Good Food Box
A non-profit community initiative that allows individuals and families to purchase a variety of nutritious, delicious and fresh vegetables and fruit at wholesale prices.To contact the Sudbury and District Good Food Box (Greater Sudbury, Sudbury East, Espanola, Nairn Centre, Massey) call 705.521.6717, ext. 104. For the Manitoulin Island Good Food Box (Child Poverty Task Force), call 705.368.3120.


Greater Sudbury Housing Corporation
Responsible for the management of public (rent-geared-to-income) housing and private rent supplement programs thereby ensuring safe, clean and affordable housing. New applications are accepted and processed by:

L’Association des jeunes de la rue
Offers a community outreach program to help the homeless by providing a range of services to assist with social and community re-adaptation.

Manitoulin-Sudbury District Service Board
Administers rent-geared-to-income assisted housing in the districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin outside of the city of Greater Sudbury.

Income tax supports

Even if you make very little or no annual income, filing your tax return will ensure that you access government benefits applicable to you.

Community Volunteer Income Tax Clinic
Do you need help filing your income tax? The clinic is a collaboration between Canada Revenue Agency and community organizations and volunteers. It helps eligible individuals with a simple tax situation prepare their tax and benefit returns. Find a clinic near you. (Canada Revenue Agency)

General Guidance for Benefits
The “Benefits Finder” (Government of Canada) develops a customized list of federal and provincial benefits for parents, seniors, people with disabilities and newcomers to Canada. The Ontario Benefits Directory (Government of Ontario) lists Ontario benefit and tax credit programs, and a customized “Tax credit calculator” including common benefits or credits (e.g. Ontario Trillium Benefit, Northern Ontario energy Credit, Ontario Sales Tax Credit etc.).

Legal aid

Elizabeth Fry Society
Addresses the needs of individuals, particularly women, in conflict with the law or at risk of becoming in conflict with the law.

John Howard Society
Offers a range of support services for youth and adults to reduce rates of crime and victimization across Ontario.

Landlord and Tenant Board
Provides mediation or adjudication services to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. Provides services to resolve eviction disputes.

Sudbury Community Legal Clinic
Funded by Legal Aid Ontario, provides free legal services to residents with low income of Sudbury and surrounding areas. Call 705.674.3200 or Ontario Legal Aid, 1.800.697.8719. For more information on Legal Aid in your community, please visit Legal Aid Ontario.

Your Legal Rights is a website of free legal information for people in Ontario. This site has free, practical, and easy-to-find legal information produced by hundreds of organizations across Ontario.

Medication support

First Nation and Inuit Health Non-Insured Health Benefits (Health Canada)
Program provides coverage for benefit claims for a specified range of drugs, dental care, vision care, medical supplies and equipment, short-term crisis intervention, mental health counselling and medical transportation.

Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) Program (Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care)
For individuals who qualify, Ontario’s drug programs will cover most of the cost for many prescription drugs.

Trillium Drug Program (Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care)
Helps people who have high prescription drug costs relative to their household income.

Mental health

Child & Family Centre
Provides mental health services for children, youth and their families.

Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) (Sudbury/Manitoulin)
CMHA provides services to adults within the Sudbury and Manitoulin districts who experience serious mental illness or mental health symptoms.

Drug and Alcohol Helpline
The Drug and Alcohol Helpline provides information about drug and alcohol addiction services in Ontario. Service is answered live 24/7 and is confidential and free.

Monarch Recovery Services
An addiction recovery service centre in the Sudbury-Manitoulin area that serves men and women ages 16 and over who struggle with drug and alcohol addictions. Residential and community-based treatment and recovery programs are offered to clients as well as the addiction supportive housing program.

Northern Initiative for Social Action (NISA)
NISA is an organization run by and individuals affected by mental health. NISA helps to build self-confidence and occupational skills and offers learning opportunities and resources.

N’Swakamok Native Friendship Centre
Assists Indigenous people address alcohol and drug issues and prevent and minimize the negative effects of addiction in the individual, family, and community.

Shkagamik Kwe Health Centre Mental Health Program
Provides mental health support, case management, crisis intervention services and client support through counselling and treatment, home or hospital visits, referrals and community advocacy.

Sudbury Counselling Centre
Provides counselling and support services to children, teenagers, adults, couples, families as well as companies and agencies located in Sudbury.

Sudbury Mental Health and Addictions Program (Health Sciences North)
Health Sciences North’s mental health and addictions program offers assessment, treatment, support and consultation services to individuals and families experiencing the impacts of mental health and addiction. Services are offered across the Sudbury, Manitoulin and East Algoma districts.

Newcomers to Canada

Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI)
Provides information, access to services and answers to immigrants that settle in Ontario.

Refugee help (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
Provides information on citizenship applications, PR cards, visa applications and other immigration and citizenship questions.

Sudbury Immigration Services
Provides information on immigration services in the city of Greater Sudbury.

YMCA of Sudbury Newcomer Services
Provides programs and services to help you adapt to life in Canada. Information on housing, social services, arranging child care and more is available.

For additional social and support services not mentioned below, visit the Sudbury/Manitoulin Community Resource List (Canadian Mental Health Association) for services in your community and 211 Ontario North.

Something to add? Please contact us.

This item was last modified on June 18, 2018